General Skilled Migration Visas
General Skilled Migration visas are designed to attract individuals who possess skills that are in demand within Australia. Eligibility is determined via a points-based system.
**The visas under the General Skilled Migration category are subclass 189 (Independent), subclass 190 (State/Territory Nominated) and subclass 491 (Regional Provisional).
The choice between subclasses will depend on the following:
- Whether you are applying for a temporary or permanent visa.
- Where you intend to reside in Australia.
- Whether you require state or territory sponsorship.
- Whether you will be sponsored by an eligible relative.
Your choice of visa subclass is important because each sets different limitations, and each will have different eligibility requirements. At a minimum, you will be required to meet the following:
- Lodge an expression of interest, and be invited to apply for a visa.
- Be under the age of 45 at the time of application.
- Have a skilled occupation deemed to be in demand within Australia, with approval from the relevant assessing authority.
- Be competent in English.
- Achieve the minimum required number of points.
- Pass the health and character assessments.